- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced
- 1 Pink Lady apple—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chile—stemmed, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a small skillet, toast the white sesame seeds over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a blender and let cool. Add the lemon zest and juice, then add the vinegar, garlic and honey and puree until a chunky paste forms, about 1 minute. With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil and puree until nearly smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape the vinaigrette into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the brussels sprouts, apple, shallot, chile and mint to the dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Garnish with black sesame seeds, if using, and serve right away.
The sesame vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
When toasting sesame seeds, stop when they become fragrant; don't worry about the color.