Bruschetta with Cannoli Cream
- SERVINGS: 4
This cream is lighter and considerably less sweet than the version that's typically used as a filling for crisp fried cannoli shells. Serve these luscious open-faced dessert sandwiches with a basket of ripe fresh strawberries.
- 1/2 pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces (2 tablespoons)
- Zest of 1/2 orange, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 thick slices of country bread (not sourdough)
- Unsalted butter (optional)
- To make the cannoli cream, stir together the ricotta, almonds, chocolate, orange zest and sugar. (If you prefer a smooth texture, press the ricotta through a strainer before mixing it with the other ingredients.)
- Toast the bread until golden but still soft inside. Butter the bread if desired. Spread with the cannoli cream and serve warm.