- 1 1/2 cups chopped pickled okra
- 1 pound (about 15-20) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup for baguette
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette or loaf of similar Italian bread
How to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 450º. In a large mixing bowl, combine okra, tomatoes, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Toss gently, then salt and pepper to taste (salt will depend on saltiness of okra). Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Slice the baguette on a diagonal into about 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Brush each piece with olive oil, and toast, uncovered, on the top rack until the bread begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining bread if necessary. Serve chilled okra mixture on freshly toasted crostini.
The vegetable mixture can be refrigerated up to 24 hours before serving.