- 6 baby artichokes (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup shelled fresh fava beans (from 1 pound in the pod)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 small spring garlic cloves or 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 8 medium asparagus, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch lengths
- 12 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas (from 1 1/2 pounds in the pod)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread, crusts removed
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Pull the outer leaves off the artichokes until you reach the yellow inner leaves. With a small, sharp knife, trim the stems and any dark green spots from the artichoke bottoms. Rub with the lemon. Slice the artichokes lengthwise 1/8 inch thick and place in a bowl; squeeze the lemon half over them and toss to coat with juice.
- Blanch the fava beans in a medium saucepan of boiling water for about 15 seconds to loosen their skins. Drain and let cool, then peel the fava beans.
- In a large, deep skillet, warm the 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and shallot and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the artichokes until coated with oil and spread in an even layer. Cover with a round of parchment paper an inch larger than the skillet, pressing it directly over the artichokes. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook over moderately low heat until the artichokes are barely tender, about 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, cover with the parchment and lid and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the scallions, peas and fava beans, adding them at approximate 3-minute intervals and adjusting the heat so the vegetables sweat but do not brown. Season with salt, stir in the herbs and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Put the bread slices on a baking sheet, lightly brush both sides with olive oil and bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Set the toasts on plates, spoon the vegetables on top and serve.