- Six 1-inch thick slices batard or other crusty French bread
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 ½ cups shelled English peas
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ¼ cup mint leaves, plus more for garnish, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cured egg yolks (see recipe below)
cured egg yolks
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 fresh bay leaf, chopped
How to make this recipe
- TO MAKE THE BRUSCHETTA Heat a grill or grill pan. Slather bread with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill bread until golden, (about 2 minutes) on each side. Rub grilled bread on both sides with the outside of the Meyer lemon.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil. Add peas and cook for 1 minute. Drain peas and quickly transfer to ice bath.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits and scoop flesh into a bowl. Drain peas and add to avocado. Using a fork mash the peas and avocado. Stir in the mint, a squeeze of Meyer lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the grilled bread slices with avocado-pea mixture. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with chopped mint. Shave cured egg yolks over top before serving.
- TO MAKE THE CURED EGG YOLKS Combine salt and sugar in a small bowl. Stir in lemon zest, thyme and bay leaf.
- Spread a layer of salt mixture in a small bowl and create two small indents. Gently place yolks in the indents and scoop some salt mixture over the top of the yolks to cover them. Wrap bowl in plastic and set in refrigerator to cure for 24 hours. Remove yolks from salt and dry at room temperature for 2 days before using.
Contributed By KitchenAid