- 6 cups whole milk
- Zest of 1 lemon, in wide strips
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 cup medium-grain rice (7 ounces), such as bomba, Valencia or arborio
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
How to make this recipe
- In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the milk with the lemon zest and cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the rice and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Continue to cook the rice, stirring often, until it is just tender, about 50 minutes. Add the cream and simmer, stirring often, until the rice is very tender and the pudding is creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the granulated sugar and simmer over moderate heat until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Spoon the pudding into six 1-cup ramekins and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Using a coarse sieve, sift 1 tablespoon of brown sugar over each pudding. Set 3 ramekins on a small baking sheet and broil 4 inches from the heat for 20 seconds, or until the sugar is bubbling; repeat with the remaining ramekins. Let cool until the sugar hardens, then serve.
The pudding can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Top with brown sugar and broil just before serving.