Brûléed Key Lime Tarts
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
When the famed Gray Kunz opened Grayz in Manhattan, he planned to pair every dish with a cocktail. What to have with this outrageous Oreo-crusted riff on Key lime pie? An Elderflower Martini.
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup Key lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus 8 teaspoons for sprinkling
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, finely grind the Oreos. Pulse in the butter. Lightly spray four 4 1/2-inch fluted tartlet pans with removable bottoms; press the ground Oreos into the bottoms. Set the pans on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, or until the edges look dry. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the yolks, condensed milk, 1/3 cup of the Key lime juice and the lime zest. Pour the filling into the pans and bake at 325° for about 15 minutes, until the edges are just firm. Let cool for 30 minutes, then freeze until very cold, about 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the 3 tablespoons of sugar with 3 tablespoons of water, the lime leaves and the salt. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, then let cool. Discard the lime leaves. Stir in the remaining 1/3 cup of lime juice and refrigerate.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the sugar over each tart and caramelize with a blow torch. Unmold the tarts and place in shallow bowls. Pour in the Key lime sauce and serve.