- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray 2 mini muffin pans with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, whisk the baking flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Let the brownies cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Gluten-free baking flour: McKenna likes the flour from Bob's Red Mill, made from fava bean and chickpea flours. Dairy-free chocolate chips: Vegan chips are made without milk or milk solids. Bittersweet and semisweet varieties of artisanal chocolate, like Scharffen Berger, may also be dairy-free; check the labels. Xanthan gum: A natural gum that binds like gluten and adds volume to baked goods.
One Brownie 69 cal, 4 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 10 gm carb, 0.8 gm fiber.