- 1 3/4 cups 2 percent evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Candied orange zest, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Place four 4-ounce ramekins in a small baking dish or roasting pan.
- In a saucepan, bring the evaporated milk to a simmer with the brown sugar. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and orange zest. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Strain the custard into a glass measuring cup.
- Pour the custard into the ramekins. Add enough hot water to the baking dish to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the custards are just set. Transfer the ramekins to a rack and let cool. Cover the custards with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. Garnish with the candied orange zest.
One Serving 258 cal, 39 gm carb, 6 gm fat, 2.5 gm sat fat, 12 gm protein, 0 gm fiber.