- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1/2 cup of basil, torn
How to make this recipe
- In a large sauce pan, sauté shallot in 2 tablespoons of oil over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Serve warm or chilled.
This rice salad can be made up to one day ahead and served chilled.
If eating a gluten-free diet, be sure to use gluten-free stock.