- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and sauté shallot over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Toss green beans with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on large baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with brown rice and mustard vinaigrette.
The green beans can be roasted and refrigerated the day before. The vinaigrette will last in the refrigerator for up to one week. Bring to room temperature before using.
If eating a gluten-free diet, be sure to use gluten-free stock.