Brown Butter-Sour Cream Crumb Cake
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Excellent with coffee or tea, this moist cake has lots of crisp, salty, buttery crumbs on top.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING In a food processor, combine the butter with the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt and process until the mixture forms small crumbs. Transfer to a plate and press into 1/2-inch clumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until firm.
- MAKE THE CAKE In a small saucepan, cook the butter over moderate heat until the solids turn brown, 5 minutes. Immediately scrape the butter and solids into a shallow bowl and freeze until firm but not hard, 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Spray the paper. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Scrape the firmed brown butter into the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle. Add the sugar and beat at moderate speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Working in 3 alternating additions, beat in the dry ingredients and the sour cream, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the crumbs on top. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes, until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Remove the ring and transfer the cake to a plate. Peel the paper off the bottom of the cake before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.