Brown Butter Pistachio Financiers
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 36 financiers
Top Chef winner Kristen Kish adds ground pistachios and nutty brown butter to her adorable little cakes, based on a classic French petit four.
- 7 ounces unsalted butter, plus more for coating
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for coating
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup toasted unsalted pistachios, finely ground
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- Pinch of salt
- Sweetened whipped crème fraîche and fresh berries, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter and flour 36 mini muffin cups. In a saucepan, cook the 7 ounces of butter over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until the milk solids begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Scrape the butter and browned solids into a bowl and let cool. Whisk in the brown sugar, egg whites, granulated sugar and almond extract.
- In another bowl, whisk the pistachios with the 1 cup of all-purpose flour, the cake flour and the salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the brown butter mixture until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 15 minutes, until risen but still slightly soft in the center. Let cool slightly, then invert onto a rack to cool. Serve the financiers with crème fraîche and berries.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.