- One 4 1/2-pound wild salmon fillet with skin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 4 ounces Maytag blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Brown bread, for serving
- Butter, for serving
Preheat the oven to 450°. Lay the salmon skin side down on a large rimmed baking sheet. Season the salmon with salt and white pepper and dot with the butter. Roast the salmon in the upper third of the oven for 8 minutes, until just starting to brown on top. Remove the salmon from the oven and preheat the broiler. Set the rack 6 inches from the heat.
In a medium bowl, using a fork, blend the cheese with the dill, shallot, wine and lemon juice. Dot the mixture evenly over the salmon fillet and broil for 10 to 12 minutes, until the salmon is golden brown on top and just cooked through. Transfer the salmon to a very large platter and serve hot with brown bread and butter.