- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 3 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
How to make this recipe
- In a pot, bring the wine to a boil. Add the mussels. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pot until the mussels open, 4 minutes. Using a skimmer, transfer the mussels to a rimmed baking sheet and let cool. Pour the mussel cooking liquid into a bowl. Loosen the mussels in their shells and discard the empty half of each shell. Spoon the cooking liquid over the mussels to keep them moist. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Put the bread crumbs in a medium bowl. In a small skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the garlic and paprika and cook over moderate heat until fragrant. Scrape the contents of the skillet over the crumbs. Add the thyme and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Preheat the broiler. Remove the plastic wrap from the mussels and top them with the bread crumbs. Broil 6 inches from the heat for about 2 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary, until the bread crumbs are browned and crisp. Serve right away.
A crisp sparkler.