- 2 pounds large shrimp in their shells
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Using a paring knife, slit each shrimp down the back through the shell; remove the dark intestinal vein. Spread the shrimp open and flatten them out. Arrange the butterflied shrimp in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, shell side down.
- In a saucepan, cover the garlic with water and simmer until softened, about 20 minutes; add more water if necessary. Drain and let cool, then finely chop.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, butter, serranos, cilantro and lime juice. Brush the shrimp with the mixture; season with salt.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes, or just until cooked through. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and drizzle with any remaining butter. Serve with lots of paper napkins.
Prepare the shrimp through Step 3 and refrigerate overnight.