- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, cut into thin slices
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli (about 2 large stalks), stems peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, tops cut into florets (about 7 cups in all)
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the turmeric to coat the onions. Stir in the broccoli, tomatoes, water, and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
Photo © James Baigrie Published May 2012