Broccoli Rabe with Black Olives and Lemon Zest
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Italians know this vegetable as broccoli rape, but it's called rabe, too. Look for bunches that are heavy with green flowers, as the leaves are more bitter.
- Two 1-pound bunches broccoli rabe, thick stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted oil-cured black olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook the broccoli rabe in a large pot of boiling water until it is bright green, about 1 minute. Drain the rabe, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broccoli rabe and the reserved cooking water, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the olives and lemon zest and season with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.