Broccoli Rabe Risotto with Grilled Lemon
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This vegetarian risotto is enriched with a flavorful broccoli rabe that's stirred in before serving. The method is a little simpler than the one for traditional risotto: instead of stirring in hot stock by the cupful, it's added in just two batches.
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced crosswise
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Mascarpone, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the lemon slices with oil and grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool. Finely dice the lemon.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the broccoli rabe until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and cool under running water; drain again. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a food processor and puree until smooth. Scrape the puree into a measuring cup (you should have about 1 cup).
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock and 2 cups of water just to a boil; keep warm. In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, garlic and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated and opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 7 minutes. Add half of the warm vegetable stock and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until nearly absorbed, about 7 minutes. Add the remaining vegetable stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed and the rice is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- Stir the broccoli rabe puree into the risotto along with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, tarragon, parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook, stirring, until the risotto is creamy and heated through, about 3 minutes. Season the risotto with salt and pepper. Spoon into shallow bowls and top with the chopped grilled lemon and dollops of mascarpone.
Northern Italian white wines have a refreshing brightness that mitigates the bitterness of green vegetables.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.