- 6 pounds broccoli rabe, thick stems discarded
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup ricotta salata, crumbled
How to make this recipe
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook half the broccoli rabe until tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a colander to drain. Repeat with the remaining greens. Squeeze the excess water from the broccoli rabe and coarsely chop.
In a bowl, blend the butter with the lemon zest; season with salt and pepper.
In the large pot, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the pine nuts and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pine nuts to a plate. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pot. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped broccoli rabe and toss well. Add the lemon-butter and lemon juice and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the pine nuts and <em>ricotta salata</em> and serve.
The recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead through Step 2; refrigerate the butter and broccoli rabe separately.