Broccoli-Leek Soup with Lemon-Chive Cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick, florets cut
into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the leeks and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, garlic and stock, season with salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer until the broccoli is tender, 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the sour cream with the lemon zest, lemon juice, chives and Parmesan. Season with salt and white pepper.
Transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches until smooth. Stir in half of the lemon-chive cream. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and serve the remaining lemon-chive cream on the side.