- 1/2 pound broccoli, stems peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice (see Note)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the broccoli until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a nonstick wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and carrots and stir-fry over high heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and stir-fry until any excess water has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir-fry until heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Push the fried rice to the side of the skillet to create a well. Pour the eggs into the well and cook, stirring gently, until nearly set. Toss the fried rice with the eggs and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove the fried rice from the heat. Stir in the soy sauce and cilantro and serve the fried rice in bowls.
In a pot of boiling salted water, cook 1 1/2 cups raw long-grain rice until al dente. Drain and use right away or refrigerate.