- 1 teaspoon peanut or cottonseed oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup short-grain brown rice (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef stock, preferably homemade, unsalted and defatted
- Dash of salt
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 stalk broccoli (3 to 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
- Heat the oil in a small sturdy saucepan. When it is hot, add the onion and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Stir in the rice, then add the stock, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the broccoli stem to remove the fibrous skin. Cut the stem into 1/2-inch pieces.
- When the rice has cooked for 30 minutes, put the broccoli on top (don't stir it in), cover and cook for 10 minutes longer. Stir in the grated cheese and serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.