- 4 cups broccoli florets (from 2 small heads)
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (from 1 small head)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup pitted oil-cured green or black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarse plain dry bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter a 2-inch-deep 2-quart baking dish. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil, add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook just until fragrant. Off the heat, add the broccoli and cauliflower and toss. Toss half of the cheese and the olives with the vegetables. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, toss the crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the crumbs over the cheese. Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.