Brioche French Toast with Brown Sugar-Cranberry Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Zoe Nathan likes using brioche to give this French toast a lovely, custard-like texture. The tart, creamy cranberry sauce, made with fresh or frozen cranberries, is a great alternative to maple syrup.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 large strips of orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- Twelve 1-inch-thick slices of brioche (1 pound)
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- MAKE THE CRANBERRY SAUCE In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped cranberries with the light brown sugar, orange zest, salt and 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries are soft and the sauce is ruby-colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the cranberry mixture from the heat and whisk in the butter and heavy cream. Cook over moderately low heat, whisking, until the butter is completely melted and the sauce is hot, about 3 minutes. Discard the orange zest. Keep the cranberry sauce warm over very low heat.
- MAKE THE FRENCH TOAST Preheat the oven to 225°. In a large baking dish, whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, light brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Heat a large cast-iron griddle and lightly butter it. Working in batches, dip half of the brioche slices in the egg mixture, turning them, until they are well-moistened. Transfer the soaked brioche to the griddle and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the French toast is golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the French toast to a baking sheet, cover loosely with aluminum foil and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining brioche slices. Serve the French toast with the cranberry sauce and whipped cream.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.