- 1 pound mixed fresh berries, such as strawberries and raspberries, sliced (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Unsalted butter, for the griddle
- Twelve 3/4-inch-thick slices of brioche (from 2 small loaves)
- Crème fraîche, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 225°. In a medium saucepan, combine the berries with 1/4 cup of the sugar and the water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat until the berries are softened and the sugar is dissolved, about 8 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and the ground spices. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Heat a large cast-iron griddle and lightly butter it. Working in batches, dip half of the brioche in the egg mixture, turning once, until moistened but not soggy. Transfer the bread to the griddle and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the French toast to a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest. Serve the French toast with the berry compote and crème fraîche.
The berry compote can be refrigerated overnight. Serve warm.