© Anna Williams
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes about 18 breadsticks
This versatile hors d'oeuvre is made with a simple baking-powder dough that can be rolled out immediately, without resting. The twists can be formed in any length, and flavored with all kinds of spices and seasonings, from curry to fennel.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a food processor, pulse the flour with the baking powder and 11/2 teaspoons of salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. With the machine on, add the ice water and process just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and pat it into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Roll out the dough to a 10-by-12-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Gently roll each strip into a 14-inch-long stick. Brush 1 stick with water and twist it with another stick, pressing at the top and the bottom. Arrange the twists on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sticks.
- Brush the twists with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Let cool before serving.
NotesTo make flavored breadstick twists, add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds, 2 teaspoons of smoked sweet paprika or 2 teaspoons of curry powder to the flour.