- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a food processor, pulse the flour with the baking powder and 11/2 teaspoons of salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. With the machine on, add the ice water and process just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and pat it into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Roll out the dough to a 10-by-12-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Gently roll each strip into a 14-inch-long stick. Brush 1 stick with water and twist it with another stick, pressing at the top and the bottom. Arrange the twists on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sticks.
- Brush the twists with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Let cool before serving.
To make flavored breadstick twists, add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds, 2 teaspoons of smoked sweet paprika or 2 teaspoons of curry powder to the flour.