- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 piece of stale, rustic whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green olives
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, mix the water with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Swirl the bread cubes in the vinegar water, then drain the bread in a colander, gently squeezing out any excess moisture.
In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar. In a large bowl, stir the cherry tomatoes with the celery, olives, onion, basil, mint and oregano. Gently fold in the bread. Add the dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.