Bread-and-Butter Zucchini Pickles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN Plus overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: 1 quart
These super-easy, sweet and tangy pickles get their brilliant yellow color from turmeric in the simple brine.
- 1 pound very firm medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- Ice water
- 1 1/2 cups unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons brown or yellow mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and onion with 2 tablespoons of the kosher salt. Cover with ice water and let stand until just softened, about 45 minutes. Drain the zucchini and onion well and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt with the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, mustard powder, turmeric and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar; let cool completely.
- Transfer the zucchini and onion to a 1-quart glass jar and pour in enough brine to cover. Seal with the lid and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.