© Con Poulos
Bread-and-Butter Zucchini Pickles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 1 quart
These super-easy, sweet and tangy pickles get their brilliant yellow color from turmeric in the simple brine.
Slideshow: How to Make Pickles
- 1 pound very firm medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- Ice water
- 1 1/2 cups unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons brown or yellow mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and onion with 2 tablespoons of the kosher salt. Cover with ice water and let stand until just softened, about 45 minutes. Drain the zucchini and onion well and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt with the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, mustard powder, turmeric and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar; let cool completely.
- Transfer the zucchini and onion to a 1-quart glass jar and pour in enough brine to cover. Seal with the lid and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Make AheadThe pickles can be refrigerated in the brine for up to 1 week.