Brazilian Rich Chocolate Truffles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: about 30 truffles
These chewy, sprinkles-coated balls (called brigadeiros in Portuguese) are more like chocolate caramels than French-style truffles.
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate (at least 60 percent cacao), chopped
- 1 teaspoon salted butter, plus more for rubbing
- Chocolate sprinkles, for rolling
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, combine the condensed milk with the chocolate and 1 teaspoon of butter. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until shiny and very thick, 15 to 18 minutes. Spread the mixture in a shallow dish and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Arrange 30 paper candy cups on a baking sheet. Pour the sprinkles into a small shallow bowl. Rub your hands with butter. Scoop up rounded teaspoons of the candy mixture and roll them into balls. Roll the candy in the sprinkles and set them in a paper cup. Repeat to form the remaining candies. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
The candies can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.Notes
Variations: The candies can also be rolled in shredded coconut, sliced almonds, chopped pistachios or rainbow sprinkles.