Brazilian Black Rice
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup black rice (see Note)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 3/4 pound cleaned small squid, bodies sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the rice. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, 45 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the butter over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the rice, season with salt and pepper, cover and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon of the rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until just white throughout; transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the skillet; increase the heat to moderately high. Add half of the squid and 1/4 teaspoon of the rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until the squid is just firm, 1 minute; transfer to the plate. Repeat with the remaining squid, 1/2 tablespoon of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of rosemary.
- Add the wine to the skillet and cook for 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in the tomato sauce and the seafood; cook just until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the rice on plates, top with the seafood and sauce and serve right away.
Bold, berry-rich Spanish rosé.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.