Bratwurst with Mustardy Fried Potatoes and Braised Cabbage
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN Plus 1 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
"I don't usually love potato salad," says chef Suzanne Goin. "But I adore the way the fried potatoes soak up the mustardy vinaigrette." It's great with bratwurst as well as almost any sausage.
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 bratwursts
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Citrus-Spiced Red Cabbage
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
- In a bowl, combine the shallots and vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in both mustards. Whisk in 3/4 cup of the oil and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the potatoes until tender, 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, then slip off the skins. Break the potatoes into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the bratwursts over moderate heat, turning, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, turning, until golden and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat.
- Arrange half of the Citrus-Spiced Red Cabbage on a serving platter. Scatter the potatoes and three-fourths of the watercress over the cabbage and top with half of the bratwursts. Repeat with the remaining cabbage, watercress and bratwursts. Pass the remaining vinaigrette at the table.
For a white, reach for a Grüner Veltliner because it shares the vinaigrette's brightness. An equally powerful, savory Chinon is a good red wine pick.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.