- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large hard-cooked egg, peeled and finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Six 4-ounce bratwursts
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- One 12-ounce beer, such as Budweiser
- Six 8-inch rye hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- 6 slices of pastrami or corned beef
- 6 slices of imported Swiss or provolone cheese
- Confetti Giardiniera, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the ketchup, relish and Worcestershire sauce. Fold in the chopped egg and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the bratwursts and onion with the beer and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of each brat registers 165°, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the brats to a plate.
- Heat a grill pan or large cast-iron skillet. Cook the bratwursts over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Fill the rolls with the pastrami, cheese and brats. Top with some of the dressing and giardiniera and serve.
Lots of breweries in the US are making Belgian-style beers that go expertly with brats.