© Jonny Valiant
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8 cocktails plus extra syrup
Mixologist Eben Freeman makes his sensational riff on the classic old-fashioned with a flavorful maraschino-cherry-and-orange syrup.
Slideshow: Great Brandy Drinks
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 navel oranges—zest strips cut from 3; wheels cut from remaining 2, for serving
- 8 maraschino cherries, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 dashes Bitter Truth Decanter or Angostura bitters
- 16 ounces brandy
- Chilled club soda
- In a bowl, combine sugar and zest strips from 3 navel oranges. Rub between your fingers until the sugar is the texture of wet sand, 2 minutes. Cover and let stand for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 8 maraschino cherries and refrigerate overnight.
- Add 1/2 cup hot water to the orange sugar and stir to dissolve. Refrigerate until chilled. Strain the syrup into a jar.
- Fill a large cocktail shaker with ice or work in batches with a regular shaker. Add 4 ounces of the orange-cherry syrup with 8 dashes Bitter Truth Decanter or Angostura bitters and brandy. Shake well, then strain into ice-filled rocks glasses. Top each drink with 1 ounce chilled club soda and serve. Garnish with an orange wheel and a maraschino cherry.