- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 chile de árbol
- 1 small rosemary sprig
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chile and rosemary and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the kale, water and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until just starting to wilt, about 3 minutes. Cover and braise over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 25 minutes. Discard the chile and rosemary sprig, season the kale with salt and pepper and serve.
The braised kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
Published November 2014