Braised Summer Squash
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Zucchini are delicious here, but Sicilians use the pale green summer squash called cucuzze, which have a texture somewhere between cucumbers' and zucchini's.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoespeeled, halved and sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1 medium tomatopeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan or deep skillet. Add the zucchini, potatoes, tomato, onion, celery leaves, basil and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are barely tender, about 25 minutes. Add the boiling water, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes longer. Season with salt and serve hot or at room temperature with Parmesan cheese.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.