- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 flanken-style short ribs with bones, cut 2 inches thick (about 4 pounds); see Note
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- One 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups chicken stock
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crusty, about 18 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the wine and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the hot marinade over the ribs and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the ribs once.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Transfer the ribs and marinade to a large, enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Uncover and braise for 45 minutes longer, turning the ribs once or twice, until the sauce is reduced by about half and the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish, discarding the bones as they fall off. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off as much fat as possible. Pour the sauce over the meat; there should be about 2 cups.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the meat, turning once or twice, until glazed and sizzling, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.
The braised short ribs can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Flanken-style short ribs (short ribs cut across the bones instead of parallel to them) can be ordered at butcher shops.
Mashed potatoes, buttered noodles or crusty bread.
Robust Spanish red.