Braised Savoy Cabbage with Cinnamon and Orange
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Orange zest and a hint of cinnamon add complexity to this simple cabbage dish.
- One 2 1/2-pound Savoy cabbage, halved and cored, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Chardonnay
- 2 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Large pinch of cinnamon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cabbage leaves and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and cut into thin shreds.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. Add the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add the stock, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 40 minutes. Stir in the orange zest and cinnamon, season with salt and pepper and serve.