- 2 ounces almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Moscatel vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the almonds on a pie plate and toast for about 7 minutes, until golden.
In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat until lightly browned; scrape into a large roasting pan. Add the butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the romaine, cut side down, and cook over high heat until browned. Transfer to the roasting pan, cut side up; season with salt and pepper. Add the stock to the skillet and bring to a boil; pour over the romaine. Cover with foil, transfer to the oven and braise for 10 minutes, until the romaine is crisp-tender. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with some of the braising liquid.
In a skillet, boil the vinegar until reduced by half. Drizzle over the romaine, garnish with the almonds and cilantro; serve.
The cost of the recipe is based on the amount of each ingredient used.