Braised Red Cabbage with Caraway and Apple
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Luisa Weiss makes this German-inspired side dish as a savory contrast to the maple-coated roast pork. She braises the cabbage in red wine and cider vinegar and adds pungent caraway seeds and mustard seeds.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 head red cabbage (about 3 pounds), cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Golden Delicious applepeeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the red cabbage and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir in the red wine and cook until evaporated. Add the cider vinegar and bring to a boil. Stir in the apple, brown sugar, caraway seeds and mustard seeds and season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour. Transfer to a bowl and serve.