- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 3-pound head of red cabbage—cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the red cabbage and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Cover tightly and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The braised cabbage can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Reheat gently.