Braised Pork Shoulder with Chimichurri
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolothe guys behind the Food Network show Two Dudes Cateringhave a philosophy that guides them, whether they're cooking for the X Games or for their new Los Angeles restaurant, Animal: Use a big cut of meat, preferably pork, and serve it with a killer sauce.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 5 equal pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Chimichurri sauce (see Note)
- Preheat the oven to 275°. In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and brown over high heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to an enameled cast-iron casserole and add the garlic, onions, thyme, bay leaf, stock and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Cover with foil and bake for 2 1/2 hours, until the pork is falling-apart tender. Transfer to a dish; keep warm. Strain the liquid, return to the casserole and reduce by half over moderately high heat. Season with salt and pepper, add to the pork and serve with chimichurri.