- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 5 equal pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Chimichurri sauce (see Note)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 275°. In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and brown over high heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to an enameled cast-iron casserole and add the garlic, onions, thyme, bay leaf, stock and 2 cups of water; bring to a boil. Cover with foil and bake for 2 1/2 hours, until the pork is falling-apart tender. Transfer to a dish; keep warm. Strain the liquid, return to the casserole and reduce by half over moderately high heat. Season with salt and pepper, add to the pork and serve with chimichurri.
Use store-bought chimichurri or prepare Animal's excellent version. In a mortar, mash 1 chopped garlic clove with 1 seeded jalapeno. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Work in 1 bunch each of stemmed curly and flat-leaf parsley and 1/4 cup of chopped oregano. Stir in 3/4 cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and season with 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper.