Braised Peas with Prosciutto, Pepper and Pecorino
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Chef Ryan Hardy makes these simple but delicious green peas with sautéed prosciutto and onion, black pepper and grated cheese.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped prosciutto (2 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups fresh peas (1 pound)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the red onion, prosciutto and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender and almost all of the water has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the pepper and 1/4 cup of cheese and season with salt. Transfer the peas to a large bowl and serve, passing more cheese at the table.