© Quentin Bacon
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
This easy kale recipe—a simple braise of olive oil, garlic and chicken stock—is a terrific counterpoint to all of the rich Southern-style dishes at chef John Besh's table.
More Healthy Vegetable Dishes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 pounds kale, stems and inner ribs discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a very large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, then add the kale in large handfuls, letting it wilt slightly before adding more. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderate heat until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Make AheadThe braised kale can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Reheat before serving.