- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thick slices of bacon, (4 ounces) finely chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds sturdy greens, such as chard, kale, mustard greens or collards—stems and inner ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped, washed and dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup drained sliced pickled sweet or hot peppers, such as Peppadews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook over high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the greens, season with salt and pepper and toss to wilt slightly. Stir in the peppers, water and vinegar, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.