- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds sturdy greens, such as chard, kale, mustard greens or collards—stems and inner ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, anchovies, capers and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened and the anchovies have dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Add the greens, season very lightly with salt and toss to wilt slightly. Stir in the water and vinegar, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
The greens can be refrigerated overnight.