- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably canola
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, 6 minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans
- One 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the sliced onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent and softened, about 8 minutes. Add the minced garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans and 6 whole garlic cloves and cook for about 2 minutes, tossing to coat the beans.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and their juices into the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are very tender, about 40 minutes. Season the braised green beans with salt and pepper. Transfer them to a platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
The braised green beans can be refrigerated overnight.