- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 6 Italian baby eggplants (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, combine the onions with the tomato, garlic, peppers, parsley, sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt. Using your hands, knead the mixture until it is softened and well blended.
Peel the eggplants lengthwise at 1/2-inch intervals to create stripes. On one half of each eggplant, make 4 lengthwise slits halfway through the flesh. Rub the eggplants all over and in the slits with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the eggplants slit side up in an ovenproof baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Spoon the filling liberally into the slits; some will spill out. Drizzle the remaining 3/4 cup of olive oil over the eggplants and add 1/2 cup of water to the baking dish. Cover and bake for about 1 hour, until the eggplants are completely tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The finished dish can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.