- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise and most of skin discarded
- 2 ancho chiles, broken and seeds discarded
- 3 guajillo chiles—stemmed, seeded and broken into pieces
- 1 pound dandelion greens, thick ends trimmed and leaves cut crosswise into
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- One 4-inch piece of pecorino rind, plus shavings, for garnish
- 12 grilled baguette slices
- 1 whole lemon
In a large pot, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the chiles and cook until sizzling, 1 minute. Add the dandelion greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 minute. Add the stock and pecorino rind and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the greens are very tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt.
Rub the grilled bread with the lemon. Place a baguette slice in each of 6 bowls. Ladle in the greens and broth, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with pecorino. Serve with the remaining toasts.